Friday, July 8, 2016

New craft: Needle Felting

Today I tried needle felting for the first time. I was given a kit to make a cat brooch, made by Hawthorn Handmade. Before starting, I watched the tutorials on their website.

The kit contained the various colours of wool required, two felting needles, and the brooch pin, along with clear printed instructions. There was plenty of wool left over, so the quantity supplied is generous. Felting is done on a foam pad, so I used a piece of foam packing material.

First I made the body of the cat. I quickly got used to the felting technique, stabbed the wool faster than I was expecting to, and managed not to stab my fingers.

Next I made the head and connected it to the body.

Then I put the ginger patch on the cat's head and then made and attached the ears.

I decorated the cat with coloured patches. The picture on the box was of a white cat with ginger patches, but I decided to make a calico cat with ginger and black patches.

I made the tail, and decided it should be stripy.

Finally, I added the facial details: eyes, nose, and mouth, and sewed the brooch pin on the back.
It was a good idea to start a new craft with a small project, which I finished in about two hours. However, the small size made some of the details fiddly. I also found it difficult to estimate the right amount of wool for some of the stages. The instructions said how long and wide each section should be, but not how densely packed the wool strand should be.

I enjoyed making this little cat. It took shape quickly and it was easy to follow the instructions and also to customize the design. I can understand why people enjoy this craft.

However, I don't think I will be doing any more needle felting. This is not because I didn't enjoy it, but I am sensitive to wool and can't wear any clothing that contains wool, even a low percentage. I also avoid wool blankets. I was a bit worried about touching wool for so long, and I did feel a slight tingling or itching in my hands that hasn't gone away even after I washed my hands. So this is probably not a craft for me. I recommend it to people with patience and no wool sensitivity.




No comments: